Dina has always had a passion for fitness since her early years and she went from being a ballet dancer to exploring different sports activities until she discovered the importance of body/mind connection through yoga in 2002. She received her 200hr level training from Sivananda Ashram in India and has since studied with various senior global instructors
1. Which is the more noticeable characteristic of your personality and the less?
People know me as a bubbly and outgoing person. My less noticeable characteristic though is that I’m shy !
2. When did you start practicing yoga and why?
I started practicing yoga in 2002. It all started out of curiosity and soon enough it became a dedication to a daily practice because I found in it the connection between my mind and the present moment; it taught me and still teaches me everyday about myself , and people around me.
3. Which 3 tips would you share with anyone willing to become a yoga teacher?
- the 200hrs teacher training are never enough to know it all. I’ve been teaching for 8 years and feel I only know 1% about the human body and about the yoga philosophy
- take as many classes with as many teachers as you can, even after becoming certified.You will always learn something new
- always be prepared for surprises in class. You’ll come across people with health conditions that you might have never heard of , and it’s OK to say you need to do your research before you advise them of what and what NOT to do
4. How do you thing is it going to evolve the Yoga and Meditation scene in the Middle East in the next few years?
There’s more awareness about yoga and meditation in the region compared to when I first came to Dubai in 2006. Even schools have started implementing mindfulness programs in their curriculums. Corporate firms are asking for yoga sessions for their employees, which shows how important yoga and I can see it becoming an essential part of our lives in the future
5. Which is your dream travel destination that you haven´t gone yet?
I would love to visit Italy one day and spend some time visiting the historical sites
6. Where were you at this time 10 years ago?
10 years ago , at this time, I was still new in Dubai, with a new corporate job , surely not thinking of leaving my office job to teach Yoga fully !!
7. Tell us a funny situation that happened in your yoga classes (either as a teacher or as a student!)
I come across a lot of funny situations as teacher , but one funny situation as a student was when I first tried Flying Pigeon arm balance and landed flat on my face. With a bruised nose and swollen lip , no one outside the yoga studio , along with my husband, believed this was caused by yoga !!!
Dina Cassir is a 200h Sivandanda Yoga teacher, providing Vinyasa, Hatha, Aerial and Prenatal Classes across various studios in Dubai. Check the links to her social media for more info: